Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Caribbean grilled flank steak

Yep...flank steak again. I'm sure that's what you're saying in your head.  That's not what my main man was saying though, and it's not what was going through my head...I've been waiting all week to do our flank steak meal! I have now been given a couple more recipes to try that will be coming up, and I wish I had better patience. I always want to eat the same meal over again when I finish with any of these flank steak meals, like the recently posted balsamic grilled flanks steak or the cuban grilled flank steak salad.

I did have a disappointing experience with it lately though...I ordered it at a restaurant.  It was thinly sliced, not seasoned enough, and way overdone...seemed more like roast beef strips. Did I say I was disappointed? Because I was disappointed. Sadface.

Anyway, I've come to the conclusion that I just won't order it in restaurants anymore since I can make it so much better at home (which seems to be the case with all steaks, tacos, and most pastas).  So now that we've decided that...here's the next flank steak recipe for you to try!

2 t minced garlic
1 t ground cumin
1 t minced onions
1 t oregano leaves
1 t crushed red pepper
1 t salt
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup lime juice
1 lb flank steak

Mix all ingredients up into a marinade, and pour over the flank steak to soak overnight. It will soak up all of the liquid so don't be worried about that. Fun fact: I heard on Chopped the other night that citrus juices break down tough meats so marinating with those will actually give you more tender cuts of steak. Just a little fyi...knowledge is power :)



When you're ready to grill, follow the same directions that we've talked about before. Don't overcook it! Flank steak needs to be MR or under in order to keep from being tough...trust me, and trust the restaurant who served the roast beef slices to me and called them flank steak.

Grill 4-5 minutes per side for a rare to medium rare cut of meat. Let the meat rest 4-5 minutes before slicing so you don't lose all the yumtastical juiciness....and that's it. You just hit another dinner homerun...circle the bases and have a seat on the couch. You deserve it.


The sides are just some steamed asparagus with salt, cracked pepper, and low fat parmesan cheese.....and then the balsamic parmesan portabellos with green beans


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment