Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Marinated tuna steaks with cucumber sauce

You know how some days you're just not in the mood for life? Like if I could've pulled the covers over my head and made the world disappear this morning, it would've happened instantly. Not sure why...the rain on the roof makes it exceptionally hard to get out of bed, but besides that it's just a normal Tuesday. That I would like to skip. Usually a good workout will cure that, so I'm hoping the Kosama plyo day will take care of it for me this evening. Although, by that time the day is almost over anyway so it's a moot point. My only real cure for a day like this is to smile. Try it. If you make your face smile and make yourself look like a goon for no reason, your mood has no choice but to improve. I've told my mom this before....and it works. I'm doing it now and it makes me giggle. Something about the muscles activated to form a smile being directly connected to your mood elevation...either way, I'm telling you, it works. All better...now we can get to the fun stuff.
 
I've been loving me some seafood lately. It always sounds good, and I know it's good for me, so it usually wins the debate when we're talking about what we want for dinner the following week. Yeah, we discuss our menu on the weekend so I can get to the store and do prep work beforehand...then it's smooth sailing through the week with no one getting stressed about what's for dinner. It's poifect. This was a great one to start the week with, as I could marinate the tuna steaks, thaw the sweet corn, and have the cucumber sauce made...so the only thing needed to do was start the grill!
 
If you've never had tuna steak before, you better hop on this train. It's so dense, like a steak. But so light, like fish. Great taste and very lean too. You know what that means? Nom. Nom.
 
For the tuna:
 
3 T lime juice
2 T chopped cilantro
1 clove garlic
1/4 t salt
1 lb tuna steaks
 
For the sauce:
 
1/2 cup chopped cucumber
1/4 cup greek yogurt
2 T fresh cilantro
1 T olive oil mayo
 
Mix all the tuna ingredients up (besides the tuna) and pour the drizzle over the top to marinate overnight.
 

Mix all the sauce ingredients up and refrigerate.


When ready to cook, heat a grill pan, Griddler, or your outdoor grill to a high heat. Spray with non-fat cooking spray to prevent sticking. Pour the excess marinade on top of the tuna after you add it to the pan. Sear for 3-5 minutes on each side, removing when the tuna is cooked almost through. There should be pink in the middle, but the tuna should flake easily with a fork. Remove from heat, dallop with cucumber sauce, and serve!


Told ya. You can't get much easier than that for a weeknight meal. And if you can, invite me over for dinner and show me how. I could use the tips. I'm steadily working toward a world where all I have to do is put my fork in my mouth for dinner at night....and I'm getting closer and closer each day :)


Pin It

1 comment:

  1. I've never cooked tuna steak, but your sauce looks divine! I'll have to try that.

    ReplyDelete