Friday, April 12, 2013

Balsamic roasted cod

Looks like we're on a bit of a seafood kick this week, huh? I promise, it's not all we eat...although I do try to throw down something that swims a couple times a week. Why not? It's healthy, we both love it, and it's usually pretty easy! Like this one...it caught my eye immediately for meeting my 5 ingredients or less requirement (not counting the olive oil and balsamic because I always have those on hand).
 
Can we talk about these scissors before I go all crazytown? These were supposed to really make my life easier...herb cutters to snip herbs (and green onions in this case) into perfectly sized morsels to deliver their flavor to any amazing dish just as they should. Except all the perfectly sized morsels get stuck in the scissors and I'm sticking knives in to release them rather than continuing on with my wonderous meal. I hate kitchen gadgets that don't work....BAH!! Also tried using them to do the bacon. Not a good plan. Anyway, if you get the notion, do not jump at the chance to purchase these shears when you stumble across them on Pinterest. K, thanks...
 
 
Now let's talk about something happy. Like oil and vinegar. What could be happier than that? I would drink the stuff if it was socially acceptable and diet approved. Alas, I'll settle for cooking with it and dunking the occasional loaf of crusty bread that falls in my lap into a mixture of it. This stuff was purchased on our Galena, IL trip recently and I will most certainly be ordering more from their website when I begin to even imagine I'm running low. Pomegranite balsamic, whaaaaaaa? Oh, I picked up some jalapeno balsamic that was just as whaaaaaaaa as well. You want yoself some.
 

OK, now that I've gone and told you what to buy and what not to buy like a good bossy blogger...let's get started with this simple but elegant fishy fish dindin. Here's what you need:

Two 5 oz cod fillets
1/4 cup thinly sliced scallions (I used green onions as you can see above)
2 slices reduced fat bacon or turkey bacon, snipped into tiny pieces
1/2 pint grape tomatoes, halved
2 t balsamic vinegar
2 t olive oil

Grease your baking dish and throw your fishies in there. Pile high with all the other ingredients before baking at 450 degrees for 10-15 minutes (or until fish flakes with a fork).


Boomsauce. Awesometown. Yummynation. You get it...


I served with a side of steamed asparagus with salt, pepper, and parmesan cheese topping it, per usual in our household. Asparagus is in season now so instead of it being $3.99 per bundle it runs your more like $1.99 per bundle. I'm always down for a discount :) We could eat asparagus till the cows come home...not that we really have cows. Although Main Man would have cows if I would let him. He also wants chickens. Horrible little creatures, chickens are. His most recent plan involves growing grapes to sell to wineries. He woke up from a nap with this idea and did some online research. We'll see if it comes to fruition (doubtful), but I do love his creative investment ideas, especially when they center around wine grapes. I hope your weekend brings you some great nap ideas as well...happy Friday, all!


Pin It