Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Chicken philly sandwiches

Can I tell you how lucky a gal I am that I snagged Main Man for a hubby? I mean, I've always known that, but certain moments in time make me feel it even more...like when he pushes snow all night and day and has been up since 1 am with no sleep, and I come home from yoga at 7:30 pm to have dinner all done, with him asleep on the counter waiting for me to get home so we can eat together. Makes my heart smile (and my tummy as well) just remembering that sight. Unfortunately for you, he woke up when I shut the door so I couldn't get to my camera to capture the peaceful kitchen slumber, but I'm sure you can imagine the love that was there.
 
This dinner was no accident though. We had seen a commercial a couple nights before for a new restaurant that had amazing looking philly sandwiches sizzling bigger than life on the 50 inch tv right in our faces. He was staring with his mouth agape and asked if he could have those. That's a standard question around our hood lately, since the results came back from his physical and we realized his cholesterol was high. We're trying to eat leaner, low cholesterol meals and he's joined the local gym (and actually has been going!) as well as adding fiber to his diet. We'll kick those results to the curb next time we go in for his checkup! Anyway, I was sad to inform him that we really shouldn't be eating sizzling, greasy beef BUT that we could healthify it by making chicken phillies if he really had a craving. He was in. Locked and loaded. Ready to go. Pumped.
 
He didn't use a recipe, but I'm telling you guys this is the best thing he's ever made me. He has standards he's perfected that I don't ever get to make, like his goulash and his stroganoff but I would put this up against any dish he's ever made me. It really hit the spot, I was super impressed with his culinary prowess....
 
2 large chicken breasts, sliced
1 green bell pepper, sliced
1 small white onion, sliced
banana peppers to taste
2 T olive oil, we love 'em so there were plenty on ours
2 t Tony C's creole seasoning (or to taste)
2 t garlic powder (or to taste)
fresh wheat hoagie buns
2% pepperjack cheese slices
 
Heat the olive oil in a skillet to medium heat, add chicken and veggies and stir to saute. Add Tony C's and garlic powder to the mixture, and continue to stir until everything is cooked through. Put cheese on each hoagie, layer the meat and veggie mixture on top, and add to a pan to put in the oven on broil. Broil the sandwiches for 2-3 minutes, until the bread is toasty and the cheese is melted. Serve to your sweaty wife before you fall asleep on the table!  
 

It was seriously tough but I saved half my sandwich for lunch the next day and it even heated up well under the broiler. Roasted brussel sprouts are my faaaaavorite veggie these days (closely racing asparagus to the top). A little glass of vino and this made for a perfect Friday night dinner before hitting the couch for a movie...and a nap for him of course. Main Man hopes you enjoy it as much as I did! :)




Pin It



No comments:

Post a Comment