Monday, December 3, 2012

5 cheese brussel sprouts and crab mac and cheese

Is that not the longest name of a recipe that you've ever put your peepers on? I bet so. Anyway, happy Monday! You don't have to say the tongue twisting name out loud, just wrap your brain around the goodness of each ingredient and give an audible "mmmmmm" when you realize the flavor that is this pasta.
 
Can I ask you a question (besides the one about your peepers)? Would you eat seafood purchased out of a truck? Parked at a gas station? Be honest...

Because I did. And it was phenom. In Iowa, you don't get much fresh seafood, being all landlocked and such. We get the best beef and pork you can get your mitts on, but fresh seafood is hard to come by in these parts. So when you see a fridge truck that says it has fresh crab, shrimp, scallops, and all that jazz in it...you get all sorts of excited! So we jumped into that freezer truck and drug ourselves out some humongo shrimpies, and a couple pounds of lump meat crab, for no particular reason. I've never bought or cooked with lump meat crab, it just seemed like the thing to do. And we did it.
 
I had stumbled across the idea of a brussel sprouts mac and cheese on Pinterest at Yummy Mummy a while back and the idea never really left my noggin since then. I figured sweet crab meat would go great with bitter roasted brussel sprouts, and my freaky cheese drawer was full of wonderment as I had stocked up on all my fave meltys recently, so this recipe was just sort of modified in my noodle while I drove home the day we saw the truck. It's like a life event...the day we saw the truck. It will forever be burned in our minds. I've been looking for the truck ever since and have had no luck on restocking our freezer. Sadface. I shall not give up though...
 
Anywho...let's get started. Here is your team of players.
 

1 lb lumpmeat crab
3 cups brussel sprouts, quartered
2 T olive oil
3/4 lb favorite short pasta (cavatappi is my shizz lately, I'm always on a noodle kick, and right now cavatappi is the fad)
2 T butter, divided
5 cloves garlic, minced
6 oz Greek yogurt
1 cup skim milk
8 oz fresh shredded Mozzarella
2 cups shredded Greyere
2 cups shredded Fontina
4 oz shredded goat cheese

Preaheat the oven to 375 degrees. Toss brussel sprouts with olive oil and salt and pepper to taste (I think I sprinkled some Thyme in there as well, per usual when roasting my sprouts). Roast until tender, about 30-40 minutes. Remove and set aside, trying not to pop all of them in your mouth before it mixes with the heavenly mac and cheese you're about to bestow upon the world.

Meanwhile, boil your pasta until al dente and drain those noods. Use the same pot you boiled the noods in, and add 1 T of butter over medium heat. Add the garlic and saute one minute or until aromatic. Add the yogurt, milk, shredded cheese, cooked pasta, crabmeat, and roasted brussel sprouts. Once mixed evenly, put into a 13x9 baking dish and throw it in the oven for 30 minutes at 375 degrees.
 
Pull it out of the oven and look at that...just look. This is adult mac and cheese right here. Hold you applause...I've got to explain to you how good this actually is in real life.
 

Main Man actually deemed this pasta the BEST THING I'VE EVER MADE. Do you know what kind of a feat that is? I mean, I'm not saying everything I make is worthy of a Nobel Peace Prize, but I make a lot of stuff....like we don't repeat meals except for the tried and trues around our house. This one has made hero status in our home...I'm talking saving lives type taste here. You will be a different person after one bite.


Not trying to toot my own horn here...but Main Main is laying on that horn like a beast! He wants to tape the horn down so it stays on all day. The only thing I will mention about this meal is that it's not the cheapest thing in the world to make. Although it will feed 6-8 hungry adults, the whole pan probably cost around $40 to make...freaky cheese and lumpmeat crab are not cheap. But this is a perfect meal to serve to any dinner guests you are trying to impress with your culinary prowess, and/or if you have a special occasion dinner with your significant other, like an anniversary. Cheaper than going out, restaurant quality taste, and you even get leftovers. Winner, winner, crabmeat from a freezer truck dinner!

 




Pin It



No comments:

Post a Comment