Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Chicken enchiladas

Well, if you're doing something, you might as well do it big, right? That's my philosophy at least. I don't know why I feel as though I've been nesting lately. Maybe I'm planning on being really busy this Fall with the wedding stuff? Either way, I have a deep freeze full of frozen sweet corn and green beans from the garden, a basement full of spicy and dill pickles, and now a shelf full of frozen pastas ready to get after. Soon I will begin the salsa and spagetti sauce battle and then we shall be done!

I had been craving this healthified chicken enchilada recipe for a bit (ummmmmmm scroll down and tell me you're not craving it after seeing a couple pics), so when I got around to it, I had bucketloads of mouthdrool at hand to contend with while preparing it. Multiple forkfulls of this chicken mixture landed right in my gullet to plug the geyser....and it worked! The filling was so fresh tasting with the veggies in there....

2 large chicken breasts, baked and seasoned with cajun seasoning
1/2 can black beans (healthy little buggers, they are)
1/2 can yellow corn (mexicorn would be yumtastical as well)
1/2 can diced tomatoes with green chiles
1/2 diced jalapeno from the garden (more if you've got a penchant for the heat like I do)
1 cup greek yogurt (because I can't get enough)
7 tortillas (medium sized)
2 cans green chile enchilada sauce
1.5 cups 2% mexican shredded cheese
fresh cilantro for garnish if you're on the cool kid train with an herb garden

Shred the cooked chicken and mix with all the ingredients up to the tortillas. Should look a little sumptin like dis....


Now, if you noticed, I had to use half cans of a lot of the ingredients. You also may have noticed in the past that I'm a bit of a food hoarder (although as I mentioned a little earlier, I try to refer to it as "nesting"). So what's a girl to do?  Weeeeeeell, I had all the stuff on hand to make Michelle's beef enchiladas and decided to add the corn and beans to that recipe to use up my excess ingredients and freeze them for a later date. You know...when the feeling of Mexican food hits you in the face but you don't want to eat 1500 calories of shizz by going to the nearest Mexican joint...yeah, that happens to me frequently. Sooooo, what you see here is a dual enchilada filling station. That's how we roll round these parts...


Simply cover the bottom of your baking dish with the respective sauces, and fill your tortillas with your meat mixtures (there are directions on the easiest way to accomplish that task in the link for Michelle's beef enchiladas above). Put them in your dish, cover with sauce, cover with cheese, and garnich with fresh cilantro. I froze the beef one, labeled the container with cooking directions so I can easily find it in the freezer when I'm hit with the above described ailment. But I covered the chicken one with tin foil and baked it for 30 minutes at 400 degrees (taking the foil off the last 10 minutes). 


Here is zee cooked dish...



And then I proceed to cover my enchiladas with fresh garden cherry tomatoes, a dallop of more greek yogurt, and the onlyhotsauceintheuniverse (my beloved Chalula). And then there was nothing in the world that could ruin my day...because eating an awesome meal while simultaneously (with not much more work, I might add) getting a freezer meal loaded for later is like the definition of productivity and happiness in the life of a type A person like meself. I slept well that night, with a dinner high and freezer meal accomplishment coursing through my veins. Yeah, buddy!




I am entering this recipe into the MrFood.com easy weeknight meal contest....let's see how we do!! :)

Pin It



2 comments:

  1. AbbyLynn,

    These enchiladas look fantastic and it's exactly what our Mr. Food readers and viewers look for -- quick and easy. We’d love for you to submit a similar recipe to The Search for the Ultimate Weeknight Meal, offering a grand-prize to one lucky blogger who will tape a segment to air on national TV! If you're interested, check out our contest page for more details.
    http://www.mrfood.com/Editors-Picks/Search-for-Ultimate-Weeknight-Meal-Blogger-Contest

    Alexis Franzi
    Editor, Mr. Food

    ReplyDelete