Friday, May 4, 2012

Cinco de Mayo

I have a problem with Mexican food. Not that I don't love all types of food, but I will literally unzip my pants to finish a plate of steak burritos at the local joint...and that's usually after I have already downed 3 baskets of chips and salsa, 2 margaritas, and am not even hungry when my entree comes out! I don't know what it is...

I got an email from Amanda yesterday about Cinco de Mayo this weekend and an invite to head out to enjoy some chips/salsa, margs, and whatever my Mexican loving heart desires this weekend. So I started thinking lovely thoughts of fajitas, sour cream, cheeeeeeeeeeese, and enchilada sauce (not to mention warm chips, why don't I do that at home).  But I have my weigh in at Kosama this weekend. On Sunday. The day after this 5,000 calorie holiday. Ugh.

I've discovered that most things in restaurants taste so spectacular because they use the little helpers that I usually try not to: butter, grease, oil, etc. So making Mexican fare at home can be just as satisfying and not as guilt-ridden, plus I don't feel like I have to hurl for an hour afterwards when I make it at home for some reason. So, in order to possibly help some of you avoid the "I can't believe how many baskets of chips I ate..." or the "How many ounces were in each of the margaritas I had?" or the "Can we go buy some sweatpants for the ride home?" discussion afterwards.....here is a list of some of my favorite Mexican inspired fare that I've made at the Casa de Stensland....enjoy! :)

taco stuffed shells
chicken tortilla soup
mexican lasagna
chicken taco casserole
spicy seafood enchiladas
chicken and rice burritos
taco salad
guacamole
queso dip
mexican chicken casserole
fresh salsa
stuffed peppers
fajitas or fajita salad

And a couple of toddies, just in case you celebrate Cinco de Mayo the way I do...

pomegranite margaritas
beer margaritas

I will also have an amazing (I'm drooling as I think about it) recipe for carne asada tacos and Butch's pico de gallo for you next week! We did ours on Tres de Mayo, because I told you, I have no control over the cravings of this nature...

Disclaimer: Although some of these are not exactly diet food, you will save yourself the belt loop if you choose to cook at home rather than hit a restaurant. Let me know if you try any of them!




Pin It


1 comment:

  1. Great post, I am the same way. I could eat tacos for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete