Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Sloppy joe casserole

I will admit it...the reason this recipe got my attention was because it hit my "under 5 ingredients" criteria for an easy dinner. Judge away...easy meals that I can make ahead are my favorite thing nowadays since I don't have much time in the evenings after Kosama. I'm usually not a huge fan of sloppy joes in general, and I found out a new fun fact about my fiance...he's not either. I figured this would be a slam dunk for him...beef and cheese usually sells him down the river. He wasn't too thrilled when he heard what was for dinner though. The exact convo:

Justin: What's for dinner?
Abby: Sloppy joe casserole.
..pause..
Justin: There's something you need to know about me before we get married.
Abby: Oh, yeah? What's that?
Justin: I don't like sloppy joes.

Good to know, my fiance, good to know. Anyway, I wasn't too impressed when I ate the first couple of bites, but once I got some ketchup and mustard out to dip it in, I was more than happy to get a second square.  I guess I should've known that this is basically just a sandwich in casserole form, so why not put sandwich condiments on it?!  This would be a great dish for kids, or for any sloppy joe lover actually. I would probably make this again if the above conversation hadn't taken place...it seemed very important for him to relay the "Justin doesn't mix with sloppy joes" fact so I will try to keep that straight to engage in many years of marital bliss....haha!

I made the meat on Sunday and put it in the fridge until I was ready to make it for dinner later that week. It took longer for the oven to preheat than it did to prepare, which is always a plus.  I used 97/3 hamburger to thin it down but you could try it with turkey if you want to skinny it up even more.

1 lb ground beef
1 can (15.5 oz) original sloppy joe sauce (I had a sloppy joe flavoring packet and a can of tomato paste which worked exactly the same)
1 can Pillsbury refrigerated original breadsticks
1 cup shredded cheese (I used 2% colby jack)

Heat oven to 375 degrees while you brown the beef in a skillet. Mix the sloppy joe sauce in and heat to boiling over medium high heat, stirring occasionally.

Meanwhile, unroll the dough and separate into breadsticks.  Cut them in half.  Pour beef mixture into your baking dish (I used a normal 9x13 casserole dish) and spread evenly on the bottom. Lay your breadsticks on top of the beef mixture in a single layer. Bake uncovered for 15 minutes and then sprinkle with cheese and bake for another 5 minutes.


Pin It


2 comments:

  1. I would love to feature this on our site and with our readers.

    If you are interested, I am looking for foodies just like you to create and share content for our website RecipeLion. We always give credit where credit is due, giving you the byline for the recipes you submit. Your recipes have the opportunity to be featured in our newsletters where we also credit you and your blog as well. It would be yet another source of traffic to your blog. We would love to feature your blog and recipes in our newsletter and on our site.

    We have a very large readership on our website with over 350,000 email subscribers, over 50,000 visitors per day, and over 24,000 fans on Facebook. I would love to share your recipe with them.

    Please let me know. I hope to hear from you soon.

    -Nate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like fun! Let me know how I start to participate...

      Abby

      Delete