Friday, January 20, 2012

Homemade caramels

I don't care if you're a sweets person or not...you have to make these things. I can't wait to try it myself! My friend Leslie made these for Curty Curt's birthday party last weekend and I was in heaven.  I seriously thought she was lying to me that she made them herself.  I was nibbling on them all night (sparingly in my mind, since I'm trying to cut calories, you know) but decided that there was going to be a need for these in my life after that evening so I proceeded to steal a couple handfulls to keep for myself at home!  Yeah, I stole food....not proud of it but that's the life of a fat kid at heart, I suppose.

3 cups brown sugar
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 cup light karo syrup
2 sticks oleo

Bring all ingredients to a full rolling boil and boil for 5 minutes (244-248 degrees on a candy thermometer) stirring often. Remove from heat and add 1 teaspoon vanilla. Pour into a buttered pan to set and cool, then cut and wrap in waxed paper.

I rationed these babies out and had 2 per evening after my dinner for a treat...and now they're gone :(  Which means someone needs to throw a party so I have an excuse to make these myself!!



Pin It


No comments:

Post a Comment