Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Glazed ham

As you know we have a Wilbur and a Bessy in our deep freeze in the garage.  It's really nice to have the freezer space to store all the different cuts of meat we can get if we order a whole cow or pig at once, and although the cost up front is a lot more, the savings in the long run of buying in bulk are very real.  Plus it saves me a ton of grocery shopping time and lugging meat home...so to me, it's a win-win!

We don't use the large hams we get very often, as they seem like such a holiday dish to me...but when we do, I always vow to make them more than just for Christmas each year! Last year my friend Bea got me a raspberry balsamic sauce to glaze the ham with and baste it with while baking, and it was finger licking good...I absolutely loved the stuff! We had to scout out another bottle of it in order to use it for another ham when we had our friends Christmas gift exchange later in January.

This year, Mama K had given me a vidalia onion fig sauce she found. It was recommended for pork so we gave it a shot although I was a little weary of the fig thing (not sure if I like them) and the sweet onion thing (usually like normal onions better).  This sauce did not disappoint!  Since the hams are already cured, they basically just need to bake low and slow in order to warm throughout and get a nice crusty glaze on the outside to get a taste of with each bite you take.

So we slather the hams with the sauce, put them in the oven at 350 for 1-1.5 hours, basting with the sauce every 20 minutes.  Mmmmm, mmmmm, mmmmm!! This is super simple (how awesome is that with all the hubbub of the other holiday food usually) and is the perfect holiday ham in my humble opinion....so if you ever see this sauce, pick it up and give it a shot. It would also work phenomenally on a pork loin I would think.  This is not much of a recipe, more like a recommendation...get a glaze that looks interesting and drown your ham in it....you will not be disappointed!


Pin It


No comments:

Post a Comment