Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Maggie's macaroni corn casserole

This is in the running for Justin's favorite holiday side...right up there with the crack potatoes (which will be posted soon).  I think he forgot about it this year until he saw it, and then filled up so much of his plate with it that he missed out on the 20+ other dishes we had for my side's big Turkey day dinner.  I really only make this for holidays, and if you notice the amount of butter it calls for, you will understand why. This would make a yumtastic year 'round side dish but it's nice to have some of those great dishes that you associate just with the holidays...gives you that warm fuzzy feeling of holidays past when you eat it, you know?!

I got this recipe from my friend Maggie, who got a metric crap-ton (yeah that's a unit of measurement) of recipes at one of her bridal showers a few years ago. Maggie is extremely picky...I'm talking she plugged her nose to eat a piece of salmon I wanted her to try a couple years ago...as an adult!  So the fact that she made this for us girls one night is a testament in and of itself that you need to make this for your next holiday gathering.

Besides being hella fab on the taste buds, this is super easy and has very little ingredients compared to some of my other holiday recipes that have such a process to complete (i.e. Kratoska dumplings, which I will enlighten you with very soon).

2 cans golden corn, undrained
2 cans creamed corn
2 cups macaroni, uncooked
1 small white onion, diced
1 cup butter (it calls for 2 but I can't bring myself to do it)
8 oz (half a log) of Velveeta, cubed (I use 2% to cut a little fat)

Combine the corn, macaroni, and onion in a large mixing bowl. Melt the butter in the microwave and add to the corn mixture. Melt the Velveeta slowly in the microwave, stirring every 30 seconds to prevent burning. When it is smooth, add it to the other ingredients and mix evenly. Put the mixture into a 9x13 baking dish and cover with tin foil.  You can either make this ahead and store it in the fridge until you're ready (works well when having a large group over, believe me) or throw in the oven at 350 degrees for an hour. The golden goodness you see below is your result...if you're not huge on onions, use a half so you get the flava flav but are not overwhelmed.  Two of the girls who are onion haters love this dish so I would give it a shot even if you are normally not a fan of the onion variety.


Pin It


1 comment:

  1. I make this side with 1/2 the ingredients in a 2 qt. casserole dish. I microwave it covered for 20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes or it can be baked at 350 degrees for 1 hour (stirring at the half hour mark). The one difference being that I don't melt the cheese prior to cooking. Super easy and delicious!

    ReplyDelete