Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Taco salad

This is one of my all time favorite recipes to bring to parties, I have been making this since high school so it's one of my oldest recipes too.  I got it from my high school boyfriend's mother, actually...and it was served at my high school graduation, my college graduation, and lots of events in between.  It is also super simple to make before hand and not too bad for you as party food goes usually....

1 lb hamburger (I always use the leanest I can find even though it's more expensive, I can't handle the grease anymore)
1 packet taco seasoning
2 large heads of romaine lettuce
package cherry tomatoes
2 cups 2% mexican cheese
fat free french/catalina dressing

Prepare your hamburger with the taco seasoning, just as you would do if you were making tacos.  Put in it's own bowl to store until ready to serve because the meat will make the lettuce soggy if you leave it together in the fridge for long....and you want the meat to be cold, this is not a warm salad.


In another bowl, cut up the lettuce and add the cheese and tomatoes to the mix before storing it in the fridge as well. 


When it's time to serve, add the meat to the lettuce as well as however much dressing you would like (usually a half a bottle or a little more for us) before tossing your salad to mix.  I have even made this as a meal and I can't seem to get enough of it! Again, I didn't get a good pic of this before it was served and destroyed at the 4th of July party...I guess it's always a good thing when there's not a scrap of food left at a party though! 

No comments:

Post a Comment