Friday, July 8, 2011

Caprese skewers

Simple, simple, simple....I know I keep saying that about these recipes, but they really are so easy that you could have your kids help you put them together if you're planning a party...no joke (I know this because I had a couple of Irlbecks helping me with these that day, lol)!  These were one of my faves at the party, they tasted so fresh and we all know I would drink balsamic vinegar if I had the chance...so the fact that the fresh mozz soaks it all up like a sponge really made these jump a notch for me.

There are only 5 ingredients, you can't go wrong with that!  The only other thing you need is a bunch of toothpicks.  I didn't measure out ingredients, just got a bunch of everything and made these until I ran out of something (fresh basil was the first to go down...the little herb planter can't keep up with me). If you are the type who needs exact amounts, you can check out the Mel's Kitchen Cafe, which is where I got the recipe from to begin with: http://www.melskitchencafe.com/2011/02/caprese-skewers.html

fresh mozzerella cheese
fresh basil leaves
cherry tomatoes, cut in half so they stand up on end
balsamic vinegar
olive oil


This is pre-oil and vinegar, which is how I stored them in the fridge overnight so they wouldnt get soggy.  Not sure if they would or not, but was just being safe.  Using a toothpick you pile on a hunk of mozz, a leave of basil, and a half a tomato on the bottom to hold the whole rig upright.



When I was ready to serve, I drizzled them with olive oil and balsamic vinegar before laying them out on the serving dish....


These too were gone, lickety-split.  Mainly because every time I walked by I grabbed a minumum of 2 to throw in my mouth.  As I said earlier, since I didn't measure ingredients, I had leftover tomatoes and mozz that went unused.  After about 3 days, I had some new basil leaves growing on my plant outside so I cut them off and threw the rest of the ingredients together to make a little caprese salad for a side dish for dinner once this week.  I think this is going to be one of my go-to summer dishes...I'm now in love  :)  I even brought some for a snack attack today at work...


Doesn't that just make your mouth water??

Pin It


No comments:

Post a Comment