Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Cajun smoked beer butt chicken

I'm going to tell you exactly what to do to make the best chicken you've ever had.  I'm not kidding here, we've tried every mop, marinade, rub, baste, and injection you could think of and have perfected the art of a whole chicken on the smoker....the best ones we've found are on http://www.smokerking.com/ and these are the best of those.  You want to make sure you do all 3 things: inject, rub, and baste.  Okkkkkk, GO!

Here's what you put in the beer cans:

3 cloves of garlic
a few pieces of chopped onion
half the beer that was in the can to begin with (open the top of the beer can as far as you can without cutting yourself on the edges)

Here's what you put in your chicken (inject it with a meat syringe in all the meatiest places, 2 birds should take on all the following liquid and hold it):

1/2 cup melted butter
3 T of Tony Chachere's creole seasoning
1 T garlic powder
1/2 cup vinegar

Here's what you rub the chickens with:

olive oil
Tony chachere's creole seasoning (very liberally)



Here's what you baste the chickens with every hour for the 4 hours they cook:

1.5 cups butter (melted)
1/4 cup vinegar
4 minced garlic cloves
1 T fresh cracked black pepper
2 t lime juice
1 T red pepper flakes
1 t oregano
1 t cumin


DISCLAIMER:  No promises on how healthy this is...there's a lotta butta and olive oil in these rubs and bastes.  I will promise you that it will be the best chicken you've ever had though...totally worth the time to throw it on the smoker for an afternoon.  We did 2 chickens for fathers day dinner (between 3-4 lbs a piece) and it took about 4 hours on 180 degrees in the electric smoker.  I can't put into words how much I liked this chicken so you'll just have to try it yourself if you want to know.  I thought about making chicken salad with the leftover for J's lunches but there's no way I'm going to ruin that flavor with mayo and all that jazz...leftovers tonight!

I really think injecting is the way to go with the smoker, I always feel like the smoker dries things out but this chicken was (gulp) so MOIST!! I absolutely despise that word, some of you know that....but there's no other way to describe this meat....fan-flipping-tastical! 


1 comment:

  1. I have yet to try beer chicken, looks delicious! You won my giveaway on my blog, please contact me at daintychefk@gmail.com!

    ReplyDelete